THREE (VERY QUICK) THINGS :
Please sign up to be included in the proposed Developer’s consultation (scroll to bottom of the linked page) https://ryebankfieldsconsultation.co.uk/
Sign our Petition: click here
Contribute to our Fundraiser
WRITE TO YOUR COUNCILLORS, MP, AND THE GM MAYOR
Addresses are listed further down the page, or find your Councillors and MP here
SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT RYEBANK FIELDS
Follow, like and share our Socials and add content like lovely photos, relevant comments or articles. This will help you stay up to date, spread the word and show the proposed developers the level and breadth of community interest in Ryebank Fields.
You can see twitter handles below for people to lobby, and popular hashtags to consider using.
Contact the Manchester Evening News (MEN) and other press/radio/TV to ask if they’re covering the campaign.
Put a poster in your window – contact us for one or print your own here:
Help us share our leaflets – contact us or print your own here
OUTREACH AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
We are always happy to welcome people to join us for, or take the lead on organizing:
- Leaflet drops
- Outreach stalls – at local events
- Organising events and activities for families
- Be a street or community group Whatsapp champion and share very occasional updates re the campaign and key planning dates/deadlines
email us email@example.com if you can help.
VOICE YOUR CONCERNS TO THE DECISION MAKERS
Lobby the decision makers by sending an email/tweeting them – read our FAQs first and use hashtags to draw others in such as #SaveRyebankFields #rewilding #ClimateEmergency #Nature #rewilding #biodiversity :
The Development Team
Landowner: Manchester Metropolitan University @ManMetUni:
- Professor Malcolm Press CBE firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eve Darker, Director of Public Affairs E.Darker@mmu.ac.uk
- Professor Liz Price Professor of Environmental Education, Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor Sustainability email@example.com
- Helena Tinker Assistant Director, Environment and Sustainability firstname.lastname@example.org
Greater Manchester Combined Authority – strategic responsibility for housing strategy @greatermcr
Manchester City Council: @ManCityCouncil
Executive Member for Housing and Development: tweet @gavinwhite76
Executive Member for Healthy Manchester and Adult Social Care: tweet @TomFredRob
If you’re not sure what to say, you could ask them:
More than ever we need neighbourhood access to green spaces, for physical, mental, and climate health and urban biodiversity; will you protect #RyebankFields, one of the last remaining rewilded places in Manchester, and designate it a #LocalGreenSpace?
Ask your own political representatives to represent your wishes:
Your Political representatives – Manchester
Chorlton Ward Councillors
Mat Benham – email@example.com
Your Political representatives – Trafford
Longford Ward Councillors
Dave Jarman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Judith Anne Lloyd – email@example.com
Stretford & Urmston MP – Andrew Western – firstname.lastname@example.org
Other twitter accounts to consider tagging:
From time to time we will do surveys relating to building our case to save the Fields and also just getting to know them better, because it’s fun as well as useful!
Look out for our next bat walk, moth night, bioblitz, tree survey or traffic survey, or similar activities. In the meantime if you are a naturalist and already use nature apps, you could do a self guided survey – especially useful if you have a specialist interest eg in insects, birds, grasses or fungi for example. Contact us by email or social media to ask more info on this.
If you want to have a go yourself and know enough to get started, the apps / sites we’d suggest are:
- iNaturalist – for all species of flora and fauna
- ebird – for birders
- Treezilla which can work out the ecosystem services of each tree and a collection of trees!
- Ancient Tree Inventory which records ancient and veteran trees in the UK landscape
YOUR SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE, CONNECTIONS OR SKILLS
We need everyone, and can find you something to do whatever your interests, passions and skills, so if you feel you have any time to offer, and are wondering how you can help, drop us an email and we’ll arrange a chat. Specific roles we can always use more input with:
- PR / Comms / social media strategy
- Website expertise
- Ecology, archeology, climate science
- Earth sciences and land remediation
- Press and media experience and contacts
- Educators at all levels, from Primary education through to Higher Education and research
- Links to Community Groups, schools, neighbourhoods
- Community Engagement
- Legal planning and construction experts
- Experienced campaigners
- Creatives – art / music / design / written and spoken word / film / broadcast
TALK TO US
Keep sharing your ideas with us, about what we could be doing to Save Ryebank Fields.